In my defense, there was a sale on bell peppers at the grocery store. I picked up two red, two orange, and two yellow–because who can resist comfort food? It makes my tummy growl.
Stuff you need:
- 6 bell peppers (color is optional)
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 15oz can tomato sauce
- rice 1 to 1.5 cups
- 2 Serano hot peppers (defanged and diced)
- diced tomatoes
- diced celery
- diced white onion (or 1/2 giant onion)
- grated cheese
- garlic powder, black pepper, chili powder, celery seed (to taste)
How I did it:
1. Sweat the onions in a skillet. Let them soften and pale, but don’t fully caramelize them.
2. Toss 1 to 1 and 1/2 cups of rice into microwave for 4 minutes–only partially cook the rice.
3. While rice is in the microwave, add the ground beef to the onions. While it is browning up, add any spices you prefer. When done browning, add the rice and stir.
4. Get out a large mixing bowl. Toss in the tomatoes, celery, and hot peppers and mix in the contents of the skillet. Stir until satisfied that everything is evenly distributed.
5. Top and gut the bells before placing them in a baking dish. Fill them with the meat mix, layering with cheese if you choose. Top each pepper with a few spoonfuls of tomato sauce.
6. Put in 350 degree oven for 1 hour.
How did it turn out?
- I didn’t get the diced tomatoes in my recipe. They ended up on the floor because I’m an idiot.
- Olive oil on bottom of baking dish to keep peppers from sticking had low smoke point and necessitated emergency open window/fan. To fix: added water to bottom of dish. Bonus: kept meat/peppers moist.
- I have a lot of leftover meat/rice mix. I will have to use it for something tomorrow.
Things to change:
- More hot peppers!
- Diced fresh garlic instead of powder.
- Diced tomatoes–I will get them in next time.
So, that’s been my day. Now I am off to play with my brand new external hard drive! Wheee………….