I’ve been wretchedly lazy this year about reading, but I thought I’d take a look at what has been accomplished.
Total books: 40 (+1 that will be finished before the New Year)
- Classics from my list: 8
- Scifi: 31
- YA: 12
Total pages read: 18,676 + 759 = 19,435
Average book length: 474 pages
- books above: 17
- books below: 24
- longest book: The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time #4) by Robert Jordan
- shortest book: Why Read? by Mark Edmundson
Books begun in 2012 and not yet completed:
- Clarissa by Samuel Richardson
- The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe
- Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
- In the Kingdom of Men by Kim Barnes
- A Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling
- Letters by Kurt Vonnegut
- The Red and the Black by Stendhal
- The Kingdom of Gods by N. K. Jemisin
- The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
- A Scream Goes Through the House by Arnold Weinstein
Why were these books not completed? Mostly the problem stems from sheer laziness on my part. Two are not complete because I have a bee in my bonnet about them and am irritated with the writing and the content. Two are not finished because I had to return the book to the library for another patron and have not checked it out again.
What am I most pleased about? Nothing really. I didn’t manage to get through all of Austen this year. I can’t seem to finish Sense and Sensibility and I haven’t begun Mansfield Park. I’m mad that my list for “not finished this year” is ten books long! I am a bit grumbly about only finishing 41 novels…and 17 of those are re-reads! Geez. My 2012 was not a year for books.
What do I hope for 2013? I really want to get on with my Classics Club list. I am going to make a tentative goal to complete at least 30 classics next year. No more waffling!