Since I’m not one of those girls who is naturally gifted with awesome in the kitchen, I like it when I have no recipe yet come up with something I’d like to have a second time. So, hold on to your hats, folks. I promise that the bumpy ride is worth the trip!
- two handfuls of brown rice
- a handful of pearled farro
- a handful of red quinoa
- a handful of black rice
- a handful of wild rice
- celery (2 stalks)
- red bell pepper (whole)
- carrot (I used 1/2 carrot because it was the length of my forearm!)
- 1 can (organic) black beans
- black olives (canned organic)
- onion powder
- balsamic vinegar
1. Cook all the grains together until done. [Please note that I was cooking for one and ended up with enough food for three meals! Adjust your amounts accordingly.]
2. Rinse the black beans and warm them up.
3. Play slicey-dicey with the carrots, pepper, and celery. As for the avocado, it can be chopped or mashed depending on your preference.
4. Dump everything together with the raisins and a handful of chopped black olives (for salty tang).
5. Add a few dashes of onion powder and a few sprinkles of balsamic vinegar.
6. Squeeze in juice of 1 lime and mix the salad well.
This is good warm or cold. I really think it tastes wonderful over hot sweet potato or a bed of leafy greens! Very filling…
And, yes, you’ve done it right if it comes out looking like a dreadful chunky purpled bruise.